The following is with Khalid Choudhry, the chairman of PAC, on JF-17
A small summary is as follows, I will add more later:
- Chinese AEW and Erieye will both be procured, PAF regards Erieye as AEW&C and Chinese AEW as AWACS, may point to Chinese one having more functionality.
- JF-17 is not enough to fulfill the requirements of PAF, that's why PAF is also negotiating with China to get J-10, which will be designated as FC-20. However, PAF is not going to restrict itself to just one source, so it may still buy more F-16s.
- JF-17s will definitely be in Pakistan prior to March 23rd.
- The radar is a competition bw lab 14 and 607 right now, although European radar may get into the competition in the future.
- As I predicted, the first 8 JF-17s, which are to be delivered by the end of this year, will all be using lab 607 radar.
- PAF is still evaluating the weapons package, not restricting themselves to just Chinese ones
- RD-93 engine is definitely not an issue contrary to Internet reports
- Pakistan will start JF-17 production in 2008
- 150 is just the first order of JF-17, there will be more orders from Pakistan.