It is similar in performance to that of F-8IIM that is being offered for export. That one had the same A2A range, 100 km vs 50 M^2 sea target using one A2S mode and 80 km using a second A2S mode. The track/engagement numbers are 10/2. Also of note, this export version uses 2 Kunlun I engine for a T/W ratio of 0.94 + the standard 1 HUD + 3 MFD setting seen with JF-17. It is also offered with MRAAM, AShM and LGBs.
It seems the export radars seem to place more emphasis on multi-role capability, which could explain partially why their detection range in different modes seem to be much inferior to that of J-10. J-10 at the current time is strictly geared for A2A engagement.
To continue, we have some new pictures coming out, the first one is what appears to be a new construction of Yuan submarine. If you look carefully, you should be able to see in the left bottom quarter. You can see the diving plane and the Kilo style hump.
By many count, this is probably the 3rd in the series. So far, the modern SSK in PLAN consists of 12-16 Songs, 12 Kilos and 2 Yuans.
The other one is an article regarding the captain for the first 093. It mentionned that Hu Jintao went to see it in the end of 2006. It seems like it must be commissioned and ready to be unveiled by then. Here is an article describing this captain.
The other major unveiling today is the first photo of Z-10 in a while. I must say it blows my mind since it seem to be carrying 8 ATGMs in 1 pylon. That means it should be able to carry at least 16 ATGMs. Quite the powerful attack helo if you ask me. Considering the power of its engines, that would still give it a very good power to weight ratio.
And finally, there seems to be a bunch of news coming out of the Beijing airshow:
- ARJ-21 got it's first export order to Laos and will probably have 80 orders by the end of the year
- AVIC-II is working with Antonov in a JV to develop the "large freighter" -> most likely also talking about the transport based on An-70
- The venture seems to also involve other plane classes like MA-700
- A new order of 50 AL-31FN for J-10. This seems to be of the FM1 variant with increased thrust + 3D TVC. If the previous whispers are correct, then Shenyang Liming should be producing these locally.
- A new aerospace company (possibly AVIC-III?) is being formed to just develop the new civilian aircraft
- AVIC-II is investing 3 Billion RMB (400 million USD) on developing/manufacturing new helicopters. I'm not sure if they are talking about CMH or the 10 tonne helicopter here.
And finally, photos mentionned in yesterday's post.
First, a photo of 991
Secondly, a photo of the new medical ship
Finally, 022 with the new launch tubes